There has been a church on this site since time immemorial. The first Rector is mentioned in a Westminster Abbey Charter in 1076; the church is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086; and the first rector, John de Baldake, was recorded in 1297. Originally, the church was a chapelry of Hurley and served by the monks of Hurley Priory. The church was substantially restored in 1838 and again in 1870 when the south transept was added. The living of St Nicholas was in the gift of Jesus College, Oxford and traditionally had a Welsh incumbent. In 1973 the living was suspended and St Nicholas became part of the united benefice of Henley-on-Thames and Remenham, since then the Rector of St Mary the Virgin, Henley has also been the Rector of Remenham.