The river gets to its widest point where it flows into a lake below the 18th century country house. Shardeloes was constructed in the Palladian style for William Drake between 1758 and 1766. Following the war the house seemed destined to become one of the thousands of country houses being demolished, until a local conservation society, The Amersham Society, assisted by the Council for the Protection of Rural England fought a prolonged battle to save the house. Eventually a preservation order was put on the building preventing its demolition. Shardeloes today is a complex of private flats; the principal reception rooms are preserved as common rooms for the residents.